Having a beautifully decorated home is not out of reach if you are on a tight budget. There are so many ways to incorporate good design and styling ideas into your home without going over the top with prices.
I am about being real and don’t believe that you need to have all designer pieces to make your home look amazing! I have grabbed many a bargain from furniture clearance sales and bits and pieces from Kmart or Target which are some of my favourite pieces! If you team them up with one or two more expensive items then they are going to be perfect and allow you to have the look you are trying to achieve!
- TRAYS – I use trays in most of my decorating jobs, for coffee tables, dining or in a kitchen space. They provide a grounding space for a vignette and sometimes helps to break up solid blocks of colour. In the image below I have used a simple round timber tray from Target $25 to style up a pretty vignette in the kitchen. It creates some visual interest on the bench and holds a lovely little vignette.
2. GREENERY – This has to be one of my top, cheapest decorating tip I can pass on! Bringing greenery inside from you garden costs you nothing!! Adding green leafy stems to a vase can add so much life to a space. My favourites, and also what is available to me in my yard is Magnolia (image below), Palm fronds and eucalyptus stems. Plus, they seem to last for ages!
3. THROWS – When choosing throws for clients or my property styling jobs, I start with colour and texture. Adding a throw to a sofa helps to tie in colours, adds texture and of course gives you something to use when you are cosying up at night! I have found some of our best throws in Kmart and Target. This green throw used in the image below was purchased in Target for $39 and also comes in cream. It is warm, and adds great texture to the space. Kmart also have some lovely chunky knit throws in great on trend colours.
4. ANTIQUE SHOPS – I have to admit I LOVE rummaging through an antique shop. I have a real love of anything with history and character that you can add to your home. There is a little antique shop in Thirroul I found the below Blanket Box in – for $40! The lid doesn’t go on properly but that’s ok – it currently has all of my summer clothes in it and makes a great addition visually to my room. If you stay restrained and in tune with your style you can find some great smaller accent pieces to decorate with as well as larger furniture items.
5. CHILDRENS BEDROOMS – When it comes to creating a fun and playful bedroom for your child – you really can do this on quite a small budget. In the image below the linen, valance, throw, mustard and lion cushions are all from Kmart as are the bedside lamps and the bedside accessories. We have spent our money on the great artwork and bedside tables to lift the space.
Searching and finding bargain pieces to use in your home, tying them in with some of your bigger ticket items, can definitely keep your budget down while still achieving a beautifully styled home. Having your dream home does not have to be an hugely expensive option if you are clever and look outside the square when choosing some of your pieces.